Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Colorado-Based Group Suggests Getting High before Flying High

I was watching the news tonight on our local Fox affiliate, in Seattle, and heard a story that gave me mixed feelings.

A group in the Denver area is proposing that airline passengers be able to smoke a joint before boarding flights. Tired of recent incidents of air rage that have caused some planes to divert to Denver's airport lately, this group seems to believe that marijuana is less harmful than alcohol, and that if passengers light up before flying, they'll be more calm. This same group, according to the news report I saw, has also succeeded in getting an initiative on the ballot for this fall to make marijuana the lowest-priority item for law enforcement.

Passengers interviewed by a Fox reporter had mixed reactions. One former law enforcement officer stated that he's seen plenty of non-calm people stoned on pot when he's arrested them, and has said it's no safer than alcohol. Other passengers took the common sense approach of saying that drunk passengers need to be cut off at a certain point instead of encouraging them to use a different drug. One man, however, stated that marijuana should be decriminalized and taxed, and implied that keeping marijuana illegal was only helping to fund organized crime. Interesting viewpoint...

After seeing this story, and hearing the gentleman who spoke on behalf of the organization, I'm not so sure getting stoned before a flight is a good idea. Personally, I am a bit of a drinker, but am not a pot smoker. Like many people, I tried it in college and found it just gave me a headache and wasn't any fun. My belief is that things like alcohol or pot simply bring your personality more to the forefront. If you're in a good mood, chances are you'll be a bit happier after a couple drinks, and maybe the same is true after a joint; I don't know. If you're relaxed, a couple drinks, in my case, just causes you to become more relaxed. If you're agitated or angry, again, the liquor only causes that feeling to be magnified, causing you to act inappropriately. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of flying, but I find a beer or two once we're up in the air just settles me down and helps me relax through the flight...It's never made me go ballistic and want to cause bodily harm to my fellow passengers or the flight crews; the unnecessary fees for checked baggage are enough to cause those feelings.

In all seriousness, I don't think smoking a joint before a flight is the answer. I figure the people who are going to exhibit signs of air rage will do so whether they're drunk, stoned, and in many cases, even sober...That's just the kind of people they are. Most of us can hold our liquor on a plane and don't feel a need to break out of our handcuffs and punch flight attendants...Most of us don't get to the point where we END UP in cuffs to begin with.

God bless this Denver group for trying, but somehow, I don't think pot on the plane, or before boarding the plane, is going to fly...Though, Bongs Before Boarding does sound like a catchy campaign slogan.

No comments: