Friday, April 1, 2011

Mormons: Good Hearts, But Where's Your Head?

Let me start by saying I have a lot of Mormon friends. This is in no way aimed at any of you guys...But, an incident yesterday reminded me of some of my past dealings with the religion, and why I'll never convert/join that particular sect. The presumptuousness just astounded me.

Okay...Here's the story. I took my bus a bit further north than usual. With Heather's new school schedule, I have to go to the Everett train station up north on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I got off the bus, and was approached by a gentleman whose name I'll leave out, because I'm not necessarily picking on him specifically. He approached and asked if I had a minute. Unfortunately, I did. He said he'd noticed me on the bus because, as he put it, a blind person isn't very conspicuous. He then tells me he's LDS, and has taken the liberty of ordering me a braille Book of Mormon. He was a tad upset because he thought the book wouldn't weigh any more than a normal printed book...But he received it, and it weighed 35 pounds. I couldn't help but laugh.

I explained that I'd been given the book in college by a girl I was close friends with, and had already listened to it and was absolutely not interested. I also explained that, living in an apartment, I don't have the room to store that much braille. He asked what he could do with the book...I gave him my library's address, and suggested he send it to us and we may be able to find it a home. Rick's gonna be thrilled when that comes in. He said thanks, and headed on his way.

Here's where I take issue with this. First, I appreciate that the guy has his beliefs...However, I ask this of you the reader. Would you order a book, especially in a specialized format, for someone you may NEVER get the opportunity to talk to? Second, a lot of blind people don't even read braille. So, it's a bit presumptuous to assume the braille book will work for everyone.

Oddly, though I've dealt with every religious group trying to witness to me, convert me, or whatever, it seems the Mormons are the most relentless. I've had them give me unsolicited audio, braille, and of course approach me in public...They don't take no for an answer. I'm sure there's a lot of it in every religion or denomination, but having grown up in Arizona, I guessI've just SEEN it more from the mormon community than I have from, say, the Baptists.

So...My advice? Your hearts are in the right place...But before you go ordering braille or audio literature for a complete stranger with whom you've never had a conversation, maybe talk to the person first...Make sure it's something they're open to, and make sure it's something they have the room for.

Again, this was in no way meant to be Mormon-bashing...I guess it's just funny that I've had more of them give me unsolicited literature, just assuming they're doing me a favor because they got it in an accessible format. At least my JW friends have asked first.

Anyhow, just an observation triggered by last night's incident. Feel free to comment.

6 comments:

Steve said...

Wes, Dadgineer here.
My wife is an ex-Mormom and I have to say that they are relentless. When she was trying to leave the church, they sent over people to try and get her back. I essentially had to threaten them that they would have to deal with me if they ever came back, I was not nice about it.
They left her alone.

Anonymous said...

I tried to leave the church. they sent folks to drag me, in some cases literally, every sunday. the fuckers are responsible for reinjuring my back. they don't listen to women. they knew that their way was the right way to baptise. I'm lucky I can still walk. grrrrrrrrrr.

Carin said...

So I have to ask, did he have the book with him? Did he have to walk away with the 35-pounder? That would have been twice the funny. I laugh whenever I picture this dude walking away all dejected.

Wes Derby said...

Yeah...I keep hearing that, about how hard it is for people to walk away...I won't reveal who, but a friend told me some stories last night that almost make me think the Mormons are true proponents of child abuse in addition to everything.

And sadly, no, he didn't have the book with him...that would've amused me greatly. Yes, I'm a mean prick.

Carin said...

well if you're a mean prick, I'm the wicked witch of the west.

Kyle Cogan said...

Well, my family and i are very lucky we don't accept any uncelissitted religious reading material. In fact, we don't worry about any religions except Jahovas Witnesses. We are not in that faith by any means but we have family who are in that particular church but we don't let them preech. The yhave supported us through many of my medical treatments and have never questioned our decision for me to have a blood transfusion or kidney transplant. They gave me the bible on cassette tape when i was a child as a gift but i was never interested and put the tapes away and never listened to it. I won't name my aunt and uncle but it is a good thing that they can be very supportive about my situation. My uncle is in fact a Jahova's Witnesses elder but they are just family and we don't mind as long as they don't preech or jump down our throats with their religious beliefs. Just a good thing that there is no religious reading material in braille around Wangaratta Victoria Australia. There is probably audio but it is bypassed. The tip is just if you see these people next time and they ask if you have a minute just say no i need to get to an appointment that usually stops them in their tracks. I am not promoting that this should always be done but sometimes people don't realize what they are getting themselves into.